This soup is layered with flavor and instantly became one of my favorites. The turnip is the secret ingredient which pulls all the other flavors together.
- ¼ pound of bacon
- 1 tablespoon canola
- 1 large onion*, rough chopped
- 1½ pound butternut squash*, peeled, chopped
- ½ pound rutabaga*, peeled, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato*, peeled and chopped
- 6 sage leaves*, fresh
- 6 cups water, chicken or vegetable stock*
- 1 cup heavy cream*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In soup pot, cook bacon in canola until crisp. Remove bacon and add onion. Cook until soft but not browned.
- Add vegetables; stir until coated with bacon fat. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add bacon and sage and season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup leaving it slightly chunky or smooth if you prefer. Add cream to taste.